Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Weed Eradication















I took my first question yesterday (March 10th) regarding home lawn maintenance: “When the snow melts, should I put down that stuff to kill the crabgrass?” The answer was, “NNNOOOOOOOO!”

The accurate timing of preemergent weedgrass products is critical to their success. As a generalization, in northern Illinois a homeowner would want to apply the product no earlier than late April (following a warm spring) or mid May (after a cold, wet spring).

When the soil is wet and the temps remain cold, it takes longer for the soil to heat to a temperature warm enough to germinate the crabgrass seed contained in that cold soil.
Apply the product too early and there will be breakthrough of crabgrass later in the summer. Likewise, a product applied too late will allow the crabgrass to germinate early in the summer.


Here’s my good deed for the day: Come back to this blog late April and I’ll give you the application date.

No comments: